Saturday, August 23, 2008

Canada...and an update on me

Yup, Canada. I am here, since the 25th July. Sometimes, I cannot believe that a month has gone by already. Where the heck did August go, anyway? Probably into the jaws of work.

I am now a Swedish linguistic tester at Enzyme labs in Ste-Adele. That means, I play video games on different consoles, and test them for bugs in Swedish. Like...wrong translations, inappropriate language, overlapping text...and so on. And when I am not assigned to a Swedish project (which will happen in the low season, noone apparently wants to release games in Sweden), I am doing functionality testing. That means, I am checking for everything that will make the game crash, freeze, not work, looks funny and so on. You get the idea, I am sure.

It is an interesting job, that I will gladly admit. You get to see a lot of different things, you are certainly stimulated when trying to get to the next task/level and so on - and the people you work with are great. We are linguistic testers from all over the world - Scandinavia (Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark), Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Holland, Japan...and I am pretty sure I might have missed some countries. So, it is so awesome to get to meet all these people - and to hear all the languages.

Language, yes. I am a non-French speaker in freaking Quebec - that's one tough thing, Internet. Mostly, I can get around it with an "English, please?" - but not all people in Ste-Adele do speak English (did I mention that Ste-Adele is a small countryside town?) so you have to be good at coming up with solutions. Yeah, and I am already learning the useful stuff like "Bon jour/Bon soir", "Comment ca va?" and "Do you want to eat it here or bring it with you?" (well, the last one I understand, but I certainly cannot spell it in French).

So, the job is good, the pay is less good. I suppose I can survive on it, but it will be a little tougher when the low season comes (that's when you do functionality testing, and just work 35 hours a week). Less work, a lot colder - yes... I do come from a cold country, but it does not get that cold. And Halland - not so much snow there, either. So, this is going to be...interesting, to say the very least.

Ste-Adele, yes. Small town, and for rich people, I would think. There are tons of hairdressers, art galleries and cafes/restaurants - and that is about it. Then there is one or two boutiques with expensive clothing...and um. Yeah, that is pretty much it. And considering that I do not have a car, it is slightly more difficult to go to the other towns around here to get some shopping done. And to go to Montreal, which is an hour away. I will have to go there by bus some weekend, I think.

Well, I will keep you posted on this adventure. Sometimes, it does feel like Wonderland to me...but eh, that's Quebec for ya.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there
I am so glad I found your blog.
I got some questions for you today…I hope you are not bussy….
By the way, my name is Alex and the first question is:
Where should I go to?
So many places…so many opportunities…but which one is the best place?
My story goes like that…
I am a student in the UK (I am not English but I make part of the European Union). I’ve just finished my first year on a course called “Computer Animation” in Solent University (July 2008). This course has great emphasis on the Computer and Video Game field. My degree will allow me to work in the Video Game Industry. I will have my gap year now and I was thinking about go to Canada (this is more like an Exchange Program for me). My plans, at first, are: to visit Canada and know more about the place, the people and the opportunities the country has to offer. This is what I want to do in my gap year. Secondly, if I find in Canada what I am looking for I intend to stay there and finish my studies to after that pursue a career in the Video Game Industry.
We all know that the QA Department (Game Tester) is the “foot in the door” in the Video Game Industry and for a Computer Animation student I believe that it is a great way to start.
I am looking for a job on the QA Department + Localization Department
I said Localization Department because English is not my first language (as you have realized by the text composition).
My goal is to work in Vancouver, they have nice companies there and great Colleges/universities too (and the weather seems to be one of the best of the country)…but as far as I’ve researched to get a QA job or localization is just seeming to be impossible.
On the other hand we have Montreal…where is cold and I guess the predominant language there is French (correct me if I am wrong). But look what they got there: companies like Enzime, BabelMedia, Volt, BugTraker…all these companies are looking for Foreign candidates to work on the QA and localization….what about Enzime (you must know): those guys help you with a Relocation support for foreign QA candidates like: first month rent paid, health insurance provided, Work Permit provided, reimbursement of the plane ticket to Canada, etc (again, correct me if I am wrong). …I just loved to read that.
Furthermore, yesterday I received an email from Jared Shaw (http://www.31337recruiters.com) telling me about the real state and living cost in Vancouver were extra higher and things could be tough for me there…I’ve got disappointed but is better to hear that now than latter.
What about wages in Quebec? I know 8.50 is the minimum but everyone gets more than that…is that right?
By the way: are you the one that make the translations or just check them? (are you QA and localization or only QA Department?) And are you the only Swedish in the company….i mean, the responsibility is all yours?
What about the other companies I mentioned above? (, BabelMedia, Volt, BugTraker or even Ubi soft or Eidos?) did you check them before apply to work on Enzime? Do you recommend any of them?
What about a place to live? Are the apartments there very expensive or unaffordable…or have you just rented a room? 
To finalize: apart from the cold weather and the Language, I believe Montreal is the right choice, at least for now. We still have Bioware in Alberta and more companies in Toronto too….I just would like to have a second or third opinion about it before buy the ticket.
So… Where should I go to?
Sorry taking your time…and thanks for your helpful blog…I am still so happy I found someone there 
Alex